SPICY AVOCADO, SMOKEY BACON + SOFT BOILED EGGS ON TOAST

I used to never be a big breakfast person... ever. Mornings used to consist of a quick shower, make-up and a large mug of strong coffee, all done in less than 30 minutes. Nowadays I can't do without a good breakfast. I hate mornings, I wander through the house in a half trance and am not completely myself until I reach work.

It takes me ages to wake up and I am grumpy... big time. Bad enough as is, imagine the scenario without a cinnamony bowl of porridge or a couple of crumpets - disaster.

Without breakfast my happiness levels would be, well, pretty low - and that's why I particularly look forward to the weekends, because I have the time to go wild ;)

Last weekend we had spicy avocado and smokey maple bacon topped with a soft boiled egg on granary toast. That, teamed with a lovely coffee and some sunshine - heaven!

What's your favourite breakfast treat?








SERVES 2
PREPARATION 5mins
COOKS 10mins

INGREDIENTES
  • 1 ripe avocado, stone removed and peeled
  • 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped (you could also use coriander)
  • 1 tsp tabasco
  • 1 lime, juice
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 rashers smokey bacon
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 4 slices granary toast
  • salt and pepper
  • butter (optional)
  • olive oil
PREPARATION METHOD
  1. Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover them with cold water by about 1cm and then place them on a high heat. As soon as they reach boiling point, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer (if you are using an electric hob I recommend you move the pan to a different ring) and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
  2. While the eggs are cooking, mash the avocado with a fork, add the parsley, tabasco and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Once hot add the bacon, drizzle with the maple syrup and fry until brown and crispy.
  4. Butter the hot toast, spread the avocado evenly, top with the smokey bacon. Peel the eggs and place on top of your toast, cracking them open a little to let the yolk ooze (what a word!) over everything. Top with the quartered tomatoes, add some cracked black pepper and a bit of sea salt and you're ready to go.
Happy breakfasting y'all! 

1 comment: