MY ULTIMATE STUDENT LUNCH - CRUSHED POTATO, CUCUMBER + EGG SALAD



I was pretty poorly last week. Some weirdo virus completely knocked me out. Concentration levels were at zero and at my worst I was so weak and achy I couldn't lift myself up. Glasses were dropped, drinks spilled, beds remained unmade and the flat ended up being an absolute mess. I watched every documentary there is on BBC iPlayer and am now an expert on all historic events ranging from Victorian times to the 1960s. It didn't help that Mat had to work super long, knackering hours and hence our meals for that week consisted of pasta, frozen pizzas and takeaways. Healthy, I know.
On Saturday I started feeling a little better but nowhere near strong enough to cook myself a decent meal. Then I remembered my go to lunch when I was a poor student. It involved the cheapest ingredients around (yes potatoes) and one pot. Result is all I say. And trust me it's pretty damn good as far as lunches go.

So here you have it, my crushed potato, cucumber and egg salad. You'll love it!

Enjoy,
Etta xo
------------

PREPARATION 5mins
COOKS 15mins

INGREDIENTS
  • A handful of baby potatoes (about 5)
  • 1-2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cucumber, finely sliced
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • White balsamico or white wine vinegar
  • Extra virgin olive oil
PREPARATION METHOD
  1. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add some salt to the water and place onto a hob at high heat. Once it starts to boil set the timer to ten minutes.
  2. After the potatoes have been boiling for ten minutes carefully add the eggs and boil for a further five minutes.
  3. Check your potatoes are cooked then place the saucepan under cold running water to cool everything down. Drain.
  4. Place the potatoes in a bowl and crush with a fork. Add the cucumber and generously season with salt and pepper. Add a generous splash of vinegar and drizzle with olive oil. 
  5. Top with the boiled egg(s) (after you've peeled it obviously), crack open, allowing the yolk to ooze out over the potatoes. 

I tend to mush everything together and eat it with a spoon. Gross I know and my mum would be appalled. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling better, Etta. And I love baby potatoes (and mushed meals)! :)

    ReplyDelete