BREAKFAST APPLE + CINNAMON MUFFINS



While I absolutely love the idea of breakfast and the older I am getting the more I appreciate its importance, I find it the most hard-going meal of the day. This is particularly so during the week, when I feel I should be loving my bowl of granola and Greek yoghurt but much rather would be devouring a light and fluffy almond croissant or a handful of chocolate digestives.

I am all over our cooked breakfasts on the weekend - but these take place at around 11.30am rather than 7 and don't have to be scoffed down because there is a train waiting to take you to work.

If I had what I craved for breakfast every morning I'd be one round, overweight ball and, truthfully, no one wants that ;)

A few months ago I came across these bad boys on Jeanine's gorgeous food blog Love and Lemons and thought to myself "hmmm this could be nice".

So out came the muffin tray and grater and I made us a whole batch of beautifully moist apple and cinnamon muffins - they are full of fibre, there's plenty of fruit, no butter and hardly any sugar. Not to mention that at approximately 200 calories each there is zero guilt.

Right now they live in my freezer and are whopped out every other evening to defrost for a healthy and delicious breakfast. Place them under the grill for a couple of minutes in the morning to warm through and crisp up the top.

I am planning to experiment and alter this recipe in the future, by using different fruit, nuts and seeds.  And if you are a little bit more adventurous and after a heartier breakfast muffin try these courgette and cinnamon muffins (yes courgette!!).

What's your go to every day breakfast?

Etta xo
......................................

MAKES 12 Muffins
PREPARATION 10mins
COOKS 25-30mins

INGREDIENTS
  • 100g plain flour
  • 100g wholemeal flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 50g porridge oats , plus 1 tbsp for the top
  • 4 tbsp soft brown sugar, plus 1tbsp for the top
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 2 apples, grated
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 150ml fat-free yoghurt
  • 6 tbsp rapeseed oil 
For the filling
  • 1 small apple, cut into cubes
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2tbsp raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
  • 1tsp brown sugar

PREPARATION METHOD
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C. 
  2. Mix the flour, oats and the sugar in a bowl with the cinnamon. Stir in the apples, baking powder, eggs, yoghurt and oil and mix everything together until you have a smooth batter.
  3. Mix the raisins, cubed apples, cinnamon and brown sugar and leave to sit for five minutes.
  4. Grease a muffin tray with a little rapeseed oil.
  5. Half fill the muffin tray with the batter, then add the apple/raisin mix to the middle making sure it doesn't touch the sides. Top with the rest of the batter.
  6. Mix 1tbsp of oats and 1 tbsp of soft brown sugar and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden, risen and cooked through.
You must try one while they are still warm, absolutely divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment