THE SIMPLEST HOMEBAKED BREAD



When we went on holiday the other week I forgot to get rid of the loaf of bread that had been sitting in our bread basket and was about to reach its use by date. When we got back ten days later the loaf was still in perfect condition, not one speckle of mold. That's disgusting, right? And a bit scary as well, because, really, after sitting in our kitchen for over two weeks this loaf should have started to go off, at least a little.

Every time this happens I tell myself that I will have to start making my own bread, that I really need to know what's going into my food. So I find a few nice recipes and go through the ordeal of kneading and proofing and more kneading and more proofing and am generally always happy with the result, because "who doesn't love a freshly baked roll or loaf of bread". That's how these bad boys were born and I still think they are one of the best soft bread rolls I have ever tried.
And then I forget about home-baking, because I just can't be bothered with the whole waiting process.

But when you come across a recipe like this - yep Do It Yourself Bread! - you just cannot resist. Thanks Sinnenrausch for the inspiration. No proofing, hardly any kneading and you can go crazy with nuts and seeds and currants...

Note this bread is nothing like the fluffy HOVIS loaves you get in the supermarket. It's a dense bread with a crunchy crust and a moist flavoursome centre. Amazing just with butter or topped with ham and cheese or to accompany a soup.

Try it and you will never go and buy a supermarket loaf again.

Do you bake bread at home? Tell me about it!

Etta xo
......................................

MAKES 1 loaf
PREPARATION 5 mins (15 mins if you use dry yeast)
COOKS 1hr

INGREDIENTS
  • 42g fresh yeast (or 1tsp active yeast prepared as instructed on the packet)
  • 450ml lukewarm water (1 part boiling, 2 parts cold)
  • 500g wholemeal or spelt flour
  • 75g mixed seeds
  • 25g sesame seeds
  • 50g raisins or currants
  • 2tsps salt
  • 2tbsps white wine vinegar 
Note you can replace the seeds and currants with anything you want, use nuts or other dried fruit, just make sure it makes up 150g.

PREPARATION METHOD
  1. Mix the yeast with the warm water. Add all the other ingredients and knead until you have a smoothe-ish dough. I used my kitchen machine with the hook attachement.
  2. Grease a loaf tin with a little vegetable oil. Add the dough to the tin and top with some oats or nuts if you want.
  3. Add to the cold oven. 
  4. Turn the oven to 170˚C (fan) and bake the bread for 50 minutes.
  5. Take the loaf out of the tin and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Yes that's it - seriously. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous picture! It looks yummy and makes me think of autumn. :) I often make my own bread too!

    ReplyDelete